What is Swimming Pool Plaster?
Swimming pool plaster is a mix of cement and marble dust and is used to coat the pool to provide strength and style. Plaster can have added color additives to produce any color the homeowner may want, or quartz, aggregate, or glass can be added to produce small flecks and create different shades.
It is important to keep up with the overall maintenance of the pool to keep the plaster clean and free from damage or any other surface abnormalities.
- Maintenance includes the following aspects:
- Maintain the chemicals at the proper levels
- Maintain PH levels between 7.4 and 7.6
- Calcium hardness levels should stay between 200-400 ppm
- Never acid wash the surface of the plaster
- Visually inspect the plaster for any cracks
Once the plastering is done and the pool begins to fill with water, it is important not to disrupt the filling process. Stopping the flow of water can result in cracking, shrinkage, and stress effects to manifest in the fresh pool plaster.
More Important Tips to Remember
- Do not use the pool until it is full of water. Plaster can easily stain if it doesn’t reach full hydration
- Avoid using a pool heater for at least three weeks following completed construction and fill
- Avoid using any water features, such as a waterfall, until everything is fully completed and filled
- Brush plaster with a nylon brush a couple of times a day over the two weeks following setup and completion
The plaster will most likely take up to thirty days to fully cure so this is the time that is extremely critical to the future condition of the plastering. It is important to follow all tips and recommendations to ensure you get the most out of your new or renovated pool design.
Creative Pool Designs located in the Houston, Texas area is a great source of information for any homeowner if they are worried about the current condition of their plaster, or if they are looking for someone to replaster the pool.
We guarantee that the plaster we use will be water-tight and will not peel or blister. We provide competitive pricing with professional crews that are ready to help find solutions to any plastering problem you may be experiencing.