If you are not as much into swimming, but still love the look of a pool in your yard, a tranquility pool might be just the thing for you. It is not designed to be used for laps or any kind of vigorous swimming, but it can be used to take a dip and relax. The custom design options are endless and can give you a one-of-a-kind look right in your own backyard. (more…)
When you live in Texas, the party never ends!
Although other people close their pools for the winter, we’re figuring out where to put the poolside Christmas tree for the big blowout! And why not? Isn’t that the beauty of living in the Southwest?
It’s true the holiday spirit is flying through the air, but it’s also up to hosts to act responsibly by keeping the spirits in check. Studies show swimming and alcohol don’t mix. People get a false sense of security in the water. Body temperatures drop, making your limbs less likely to respond in an emergency.
So how do you keep the party going?
- If you decide to serve adult beverages, ask guests who are drinking alcohol to wait an hour before jumping in the pool. That’s how long experts say it takes to work a single standard drink out of your system. Plan ahead to ensure guests have a safe ride home if they overindulge.
- Put an assortment of tasty, non-alcoholic drinks around the pool. Here are some recipes to get you started. High-carb finger foods will cut down the effect of the alcohol, too.
- Finally, no matter what you’re serving, use plastic cups and dinnerware. Broken glass can cool the party in a hurry. There’s no reason to use glass, especially when you see the beautiful stemware available these days. Just in case, keep a swimmer’s first-aid box handy along with a rescue pole.
Make this a party everyone will remember for all the right reasons!
Pool design is really an art. There are so many different directions that you can take your pool design, and a lot of options to look at. One of these options is a scupper. What is it? How can you use it in your pool design? Let’s take a look. (more…)
When entertaining you guests outside, you want to have a space that offers them all the comforts of the inside of your house but outside in your entertaining area. There are a few ways that you can make sure that everyone is comfortable without breaking the budget. If you have a hard time entertaining guests, you may want to think about a backyard makeover. (more…)
During the fall, we spend a lot of time sharing how pool owners can clean up their pools and spas.
It makes sense. With summer over, you’ll want to scrub away three months of solid use. And with winter coming, it makes sense to spruce up the backyard spa.
But aren’t we forgetting a few things? Add these to your pool maintenance checklist:
- Start with a quality pool towel, hopefully 100 percent cotton. It feels the best when you step out of the swimming pool and it withstands the laundering you need to do to keep it fluffy after every single use. Shake it out–and even vacuum it, if you’ve been to the beach–before washing it in hot water and air-drying it in the dryer. And though you might be tempted to throw in some fabric softener, don’t do it! It diminishes the towel’s absorbency.
- Now, about those bathing suits. Don’t wait for the laundry. Rinse your suit in cool water as soon as you leave a chlorinated or salt-water pool. It’s not just a matter of cleanliness: Chlorine and salt take the elasticity out of a stretchy suit. Don’t throw it in a heap afterward. You can hang it to dry or launder it according to directions.
- Finally, think about what all that chlorine is doing to you. Begin by taking a quick shower before swimming. By getting your hair wet, you’ll lessen the amount of chlorine that is sucked into your strands. Afterward, shower again, this time with a loofah glove to exfoliate dead skin cells.
There, aren’t you feeling cleaner already? Repeat as needed!
When you think of fire pits, you probably think of smoke. Fire and smoke usually go hand in hand, especially when you are burning wood. Smoke can get in the way of a social gathering, engulfing your party in a cloud. Luckily, there are better options available on the market today that can help you out. (more…)
With autumn already here and winter on its way, there are a lot of things to look forward to with the seasons changing. From the leaves changing color to a nice hot cup of cocoa, fall certainly has its perks. Unfortunately, it also means it is time to say goodbye to relaxing dips in the pool too. Or does it?
Never say goodbye to daily swimming with the help of a heated pool. No matter what season it may be, a heated pool ensures you never have to miss out on regular aqua fitness or a great game of ‘Marco Polo’ with the kids. (more…)
Looking to add some fun in your backyard this year? How about a pool? There are a lot of fun options that you can add on with your pool, allowing you to maximize the fun. Try one of these on for size, and let us help you design it. (more…)
Are you keeping your pool open through Halloween? You’ll want to when you hear these ideas for an amazing Halloween pool party! The right lighting and props can create the perfect atmosphere for whatever type of bash you have planned for your ghosts and ghouls. Here are a few fun ideas:
- First think lighting. Glow sticks or LED lights placed in or around the pool can add color and ambiance. Go for a single color for an elegant look, or mix it up for a more festive atmosphere. Or use blacklights for an ultra-creepy feel.
- Love pumpkin carving? Consider a pumpkin plunge! Have guests carve their own pumpkins and light them with battery-operated candles. Or you can have them ready and placed in the pool in advance if carving isn’t in your plans.
- If you’re willing to spend a bit of money to make your party truly memorable, consider a fog machine. The fog rolling over the water looks amazing and turns your pool into a black lagoon.
- Hold a swimwear-themed costume contest. Everyone needs to include a swimming suit or wet suit in their getup. Whether you go as Michael Phelps or a Disney princess, prepare to get wet!
Of course there are tons of other fun recipes, crafts, and other spooktacular activities you can add to your Halloween pool party. Have fun brainstorming some ideas of your own, and Happy Haunting!
Picking a shape for your swimming pool can be difficult. There are a lot of factors to consider, and a lot of options on the market. When thinking about the shape of your pool, you should think about ease of access, your landscape, the architecture of your house and the design scheme of your backyard. These are the top five shapes that most pool owners consider. (more…)