There is nothing like having a dip in your Houston swimming pool and spending some quality time with your children. However, the pool can present a lot of dangers for kids who don’t know proper swimming pool safety.
Here are the 3 pool safety rules every child should know about: (more…)
From increasing the value of your home to the convenience of having a pool right in the comfort of your backyard, there are plenty of great things about owning a Houston swimming pool. However, there are a few unsung benefits you should know about. (more…)
The holidays are here, and you’ve found your poolside answer to the little black dress.
It’s the perfect bathing suit, and it fits in all the right places. The color is spot on! The impressed glances? Well, what more could you ask for?
But you have a nagging feeling that maybe, just maybe, it’s too perfect. You’re afraid to get it wet and risk never feeling the sense of swimsuit satisfaction again!
But considering the time and money you invested in finding the right swimwear, chances are good the designer must have thought through the suit, too, to ensure it stays in great shape for a long time. Here are a few tips to keep your suit in prime condition, in the pool and out:
- Before you even wear it, soak your bathing suit for 30 minutes in a solution of one tablespoon of white vinegar to a quart of water. This will set the color, which is especially important if you’re going to use a hot tub!
- At the poolside, bring along a towel for sitting on concrete, wood or any other suit-snagging surfaces. Don’t take a chance!
- When you’re done swimming–or even sunbathing!–immediately rinse your suit. Chlorine, sunscreen, lotion and even natural body oil can do a real number on your suit. When it’s time to launder the suit, hand-wash it using a mild soap rather than a harsh laundry detergent. After rinsing it, roll the suit in a towel to soak up the excess water before laying it flat to air-dry.
- Leave it alone for at least 24 hours, especially if it’s made with a memory-fabric such as Spandex. it needs at least that long to spring back to its original shape.
Thanks to Houston’s naturally warm weather, an outdoor kitchen is the perfect addition to any backyard. From wood fired pizza ovens to gourmet appliances, there are plenty of features to personalize your outdoor kitchen to create a cooking environment that the whole family can enjoy.
Still not convinced that an outdoor kitchen is right for your backyard? Here are just a few of the benefits you do not want to miss out on! (more…)
If you are not as much into swimming, but still love the look of a pool in your yard, a tranquility pool might be just the thing for you. It is not designed to be used for laps or any kind of vigorous swimming, but it can be used to take a dip and relax. The custom design options are endless and can give you a one-of-a-kind look right in your own backyard. (more…)
When you live in Texas, the party never ends!
Although other people close their pools for the winter, we’re figuring out where to put the poolside Christmas tree for the big blowout! And why not? Isn’t that the beauty of living in the Southwest?
It’s true the holiday spirit is flying through the air, but it’s also up to hosts to act responsibly by keeping the spirits in check. Studies show swimming and alcohol don’t mix. People get a false sense of security in the water. Body temperatures drop, making your limbs less likely to respond in an emergency.
So how do you keep the party going?
- If you decide to serve adult beverages, ask guests who are drinking alcohol to wait an hour before jumping in the pool. That’s how long experts say it takes to work a single standard drink out of your system. Plan ahead to ensure guests have a safe ride home if they overindulge.
- Put an assortment of tasty, non-alcoholic drinks around the pool. Here are some recipes to get you started. High-carb finger foods will cut down the effect of the alcohol, too.
- Finally, no matter what you’re serving, use plastic cups and dinnerware. Broken glass can cool the party in a hurry. There’s no reason to use glass, especially when you see the beautiful stemware available these days. Just in case, keep a swimmer’s first-aid box handy along with a rescue pole.
Make this a party everyone will remember for all the right reasons!